Even though the advancement of technology snatches children off from engaging in outdoor physical activities, it is still crucial for each parent to create a child-friendly and safe garden or patio space. Basically, the serenity that almost every garden displays provokes them to belittle how this additional facility in the house can imply certain damaging instances that can injure people especially the children. Because these children are naturally clumsy because of their age, they become frequent victims of the risks that a garden/patio inconveniences initiate.
The good thing is that, all parents can effectively do something to prevent even the most commonly encountered hazards in the garden. By careful determining and understanding all of its features, parents and other concerned people can do something to make a change and stop the said problem from harming anyone especially the children.
Here are some answers to make an exceptional garden or patio:
- Floors should be constantly maintained – Floor paths that are composed with rocky gravels, uneven tiles and some cracked concrete surfaces can aggravate trip and fall incidents involving children. From minor scratches up to major strains, children who carelessly run in the garden are prone to suffer the preceding injuries in an instant. To assure that the entire scope of floors are safe, fixing patch holes as well as cracks and replacing the pieces of missing stones will make a patio floor safe. Also, keeping it free from any liquid spills is ideal.
- Choosing smart outdoor furniture – Most children love playing with this essential items, they love to climb into it, to crawl and to roll. However, properly selecting the best furniture for the garden should not be underestimated for it can cause non-measurable accidents in the future most probably if they are living with some children in the house. The most suitable patio furniture for any house should not contain designs with sharp edges. Also, a foldable chair is advisably needed to be settled aside.
- Avoid putting fragile items in the garden – Same with the risk of placing fragile patio or vintage furniture, buying some items that can easily break into pieces when children accidentally bump to it is not good. Although, glassware and ceramic can generate a pleasant appeal with regards to the aesthetic look of the house, when these items lack proper inspection prior to purchasing and when they are placed in unreasonable spots in the patio, they became prone to breaking and to other related harmful instances.
- Do not include poisonous plants – Even if the abovementioned things are carefully checked and were executed by the concerned home owners, if the plants that surround the entire place is found to have a poisonous substance, it can outweigh the hazards that a children can experience. Since they love to play with anything that catches their attention, they might also swallow the said types of plants during play which can be very dangerous for the said victims. A comprehensive research regarding safety of the plants is great.
- Keeping the entire patio space hygienic – Above all, it is vital to make sure that the whole house facility is clean. It is visibly due to the features no matter how good a floor structure is, how excellent vintage furniture are, how sturdy items in a garden are and how safe the plants there are, if the house facility is dirty, then many germs can potentially live there and eventually affect the health of children who are living in the house. Thus, these children are not only going to be injured in physical aspect but also to a more serious situation.
If you believe that your patio is not one-hundred percent child-friendly, then do not hesitate to make some improvements, after all it is for the sake for your child’s health and safety.