Having extra pounds can definitely put one’s health at risk. Not doing anything about it can obviously lead to a shortened lifespan due to a higher likelihood of heart disease, hypertension, cancer, or type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately, the number of people becoming either overweight or obese is increasing in Australia especially among men, thus posing a significant health problem. A study claims that at least 42% of adult Australian men are overweight. Although being overweight or obese can be traced to genetics or physiological incapacities, it is influenced by the type of food people eat and the kind of lifestyle they are in. This is why you need to lose weight; not only will you be shedding pounds, but you are also committing yourself to a healthier disposition in life.
Of course, to help you with your weight loss efforts, it is important that you focus on these two important aspects: eating a healthy diet and engaging in physical activity. On one hand, you should be eating fewer portions during meals, as well as focus on eating the right type of food and doing away with the bad stuff like saturated fats and added sugars.
For more information about losing weight through diet and exercise, here are some weight loss tips you should consider:
- Drink plenty of water. Not only will this keep you hydrated when you exercise, but it will also help you feel full, thus lowering the intake of calories. Generally, 64 ounces of water is recommended, but it could be more or less depending on your needs.
- Be easy on salt. The sodium content of salt is what makes you gain more weight, not to mention feel bloated after eating. If you want to stay away from salty foods, visiting your local fish market should be your first step. There are many tasty but not salty produce you can buy from a fish market so finding one that will suit your taste and appetite shouldn’t be a chore.
- When you do exercise, try doing interval training. For example, when you go out to exercise, you start by going with your normal pace (e.g. walking for 5 minutes), and then increasing the intensity (e.g. running for 5 minutes). Doing these alternately is not only time-efficient, but is also a productive way to lose those pounds. You can apply interval training in your strength training routine, not just in your cardio or aerobic exercise.
- Eat slowly. Chew every bite at least 10 times before digesting it. Those who eat like they are in a hurry tend to eat more, which further increases weight gain.
- If you eat, burn the calories away. If you can’t help it but to eat some of the best foods, it is absolutely fine as long as you make an effort to burn the calories away. While burgers are delightfully tasty and delicious, they can make you gain extra pounds if you don’t exercise.
- Trust the process. Remember that you are making this a lifelong commitment. Indeed, patience and consistency are important to ensure better fitness and likelihood of success in your weight loss goals. Don’t be afraid to have “cheat days”, just don’t forget to sweat the calories away.
If you want to have healthier body, sounder mind, and improved self-esteem, then following these weight loss tips should be your go-to step. With discipline and commitment to lose weight, you will surely live a healthier and happier life. Weight loss treatments usually involve medication, but the best way for a person to lose those excess pounds is to change his or her lifestyle. Eating healthy, for one, is one of the most important lifestyle changes an overweight or obese person can pursue.